Delicious and gluten-free, this sprouted bread allowed us to use a variety of lovely ingredients for the perfect home-made baked good! Give it a try this weekend.
MAKES 1 loaf // COOKING TIME 1 hour 20 min
2 cups lentil and chickpea sprouts
¾ cup flaxseeds
1 tsp salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
3 large eggs
1 Granny Smith apple, grated
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
½ cup warm water
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup butter, melted
1 cup pecans, chopped
⅓ cup parsley, finely chopped
⅓ cup chives, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Line an 18 × 8.5 cm bread tin with baking paper.
2. Place the sprouts in a food processor and process until fine.
3. Grind the flaxseed in a coffee grinder until it resembles wet sand. Add to the sprouts.
4. Add salt, cayenne pepper, eggs and the apple. Blitz until mixed well and set aside.
5. Stir the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar together until bubbling. Stir in the warm water and baking powder. Add this, along with the butter, pecans and herbs, to the sprouts and flaxseed mixture. Combine.
6. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 50–60 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in the tin. Turn on to a wire cooling rack and set aside to cool.
Recipe & Styling: HausHaus
Photography: Gareth van Nelson