We bring you our version of the gym rat’s favourite healthy, protein- and nutrient-packed meal: chicken and rice. Swap plain old rice for a scrumptious spinach risotto. It may take you a bit longer in the kitchen, but you’ll learn a new skill in the kitchen. A risotto is an impressive dish every home cook should have in their repertoire. Pair risotto with roast chicken breasts and you’ll have a wholesome mid-week meal you’ll go for again and again.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 40 mins
4 skinless chicken breast fillets
Salt and black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
1L chicken stock or 1 chicken stock cube with 1L water
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
250g baby spinach
⅓ cup grated Parmesan
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp finely chopped sage
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Season the chicken breasts and drizzle with oil.
3. Heat a griddle pan over high heat and cook the chicken on each side, until golden griddle lines appear. Then cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
4. Place the chicken stock in a pot over medium heat. Keep hot to use later.
5. Melt the butter and 1 tbsp oil in a heavy-based pan over medium heat and fry the onion for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute. Add the rice and toast slightly, until it starts to pop.
6. Add the wine to deglaze the pan and cook for 1 minute until it reduces. Start adding the stock, 2 ladles at a time, continuously stirring so the rice soaks it up. Once all the stock is added, the risotto should be al dente, with a porridge-like consistency.
7. Stir in the spinach, Parmesan, lemon zest and herbs. Serve with the sliced chicken.