Is there anything more festive and decadent than a piping hot roast? Save this spicy pork belly roast for an indulgent occasion to treat your loved ones!
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 4 hours 30 min
2 kg pork belly
3 tbsp olive oil
1 L beef stock
½ cup oyster sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 celery stalks
2 red chillies, seeded and chopped
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp five-spice
1 tsp grated ginger
¼ cup coarse salt
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Season pork belly with salt and pepper. Heat oil in an ovenproof pot over high heat. Brown pork for 5 minutes on each side, then remove from the pot.
3. Add remaining ingredients (except the coarse salt) to the pot. Place the pork belly on top, skin-side up. Cook, covered, for 3 hours, until fork-tender.
4. Remove the lid and roast, uncovered, for 1 hour, until the sauce is reduced by half.
5. Before serving, rub the salt over the skin, then place under a medium grill for 8 minutes until crackled.
6. Skim the fat and chopped vegetables from the sauce and discard. Slice the meat against the grain and serve with the sauce spooned over the pork belly roast.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za