Popcorn brittle! Sorry, say that again… Popcorn brittle! It’s a marriage of two delicious snacks, coming together to form the ultimate bar snack we cannot get enough of.
3 tbsp vegetable oil
½ cup popcorn kernels
3 cups sugar
2 tbsp sea salt, plus extra to serve
2 tsp cayenne pepper / ½ tsp smoked paprika
1. Pour two tablespoons of the oil into a large pot set over medium heat. Add the popcorn kernels and cover. Once popped, transfer popcorn to a large bowl.
2. Pour the sugar into a large pot set over medium heat. Do not stir. Once the sugar has turned a dark caramel, add the butter, allow to melt and then stir through.
3. Turn the heat to low. Add the salt and cayenne pepper or smoked paprika and stir. Add the popcorn and stir to coat evenly with the caramel.
4. Grease a large baking tin with the remaining oil. Transfer the popcorn to the greased tin and allow to set.
5. Once set, remove from the baking tin and chop into pieces. Sprinkle with extra sea salt and serve.
Local is lekker when you are chomping on our meaty maize balls while watching this weekend’s game.