Breakfast is served! We love how this spicy baked beans and eggs recipe combines elements of a traditional English brekkies with local flavour.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 35 min
4 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp brown sugar
4 large tomatoes, chopped
½ cup basil, chopped
2 × 400 g tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
¼ cup basil
1 baguette, sliced and toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Add the oil to a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat and fry the onions until caramelised and translucent. Add the garlic, red chilli and spices and allow to cook for another 2 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add the tomato paste, sugar, tomatoes, basil and beans and simmer for 15 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft.
4. Once cooked, create 6 medium-sized holes in the beans and crack the eggs into them.
5. Cover the skillet with foil and place in the oven. Bake until the whites of the eggs are cooked to your liking.
1. Garnish your spicy baked beans and eggs with fresh basil and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot alongside crusty, toasted bread.
Recipe & styling: Jezza-Rae Larsen
Photography: Sean Dollery // HMimages.co.za
Celebrating an extra special family occasion? This giant breakfast parfait will be a hit!