A supercharged dish with loads of flavour, this sweet and spicy spanspek and paprika steak salad is the perfect way to end off summer.
SERVES 2 // COOKING TIME 30 min
1 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
500 g rump steak
½ spanspek, peeled, deseeded and sliced into half moons
½ cucumber, ribboned
½ red onion, thinly sliced into rings
Handful fresh coriander
Handful fresh mint
1 tbsp vinegar
½ tsp honey
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Combine paprika and olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Rub over the steak. Set the steak aside to come to room temperature.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a griddle pan or frying pan. Fry the steak for 4 minutes on each side until it is medium rare, or until the desired temperature.
3. Take it out of the pan and let it rest.
4. Arrange the spanspek, cucumber, red onion and coriander on a plate.
5. Make a quick dressing by mixing together vinegar, honey, and olive oil. Drizzle half of this over the plate.
6. Slice the steak thinly and arrange it on top of the salad. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the steak salad and garnish with the leftover mint and coriander.
Recipe & styling: Leila-Ann Mokotedi
Photography: Jotham van Tonder // HMimages.co.za
Who knew steak had so many delicious flavour pairings? These coffee steak sarmies are deliciously savoury.