Tortilla española is a Spanish omelette or tortilla traditionally made with a few base ingredients, including potatoes and egg, and often onion.
SERVES 8 // COOKING TIME 40 min
3 potatoes, peeled
½ cup olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 tsp salt
1. Cut the potatoes into rough chunks, place in a bowl of water and set aside.
2. Heat half the oil over medium-low heat. Fry the onion until it is golden. Remove from the pan and drain the excess oil.
3. Drain the potatoes and pat dry. Heat the remaining oil and fry them for 25 minutes, stirring gently every now and then, until golden. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel.
4. Remove any potato or onion chunks from the pan and reheat the oil.
5. Whisk together the eggs and salt. Add potatoes and onions and mix gently.
6. Pour the mixture into the pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
7. Hold a plate over the pan, flip the pan and slide the tortilla on to the plate. Then slide it back into the pan the other way up and cook for 5 minutes.
8. Slide the tortilla on to a plate, cut into wedges and serve your Spanish omelette.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
This fish frittata is another Spanish favourite of ours!