Try something slightly different at your next get-together and make our Spanish chicken and chorizo potjie. With an array of spices and flavours, this may be the winner at the next potjie competition!
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 20 min
Vegetable oil, to fry
2 onions, sliced
5 cloves garlic, crushed
60 g chorizo, sliced
5 sprigs thyme
2 tbsp paprika
500 g tomato purée
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup green olives, pitted
1 red pepper, seeded and cubed
1 yellow pepper, seeded and cubed
1 kg chicken thighs and drumsticks
Salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil in a potjie and fry the onions for 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and chorizo and cook for a few minutes, then add thyme and paprika and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the purée, paste and stock and bring to a simmer.
4. Mix in the olives and peppers and simmer for 30 minutes, until reduced.
5. Season the chicken and braai until golden brown. Add to the potjie and simmer for 30 more minutes before serving.