It’s made in SA! We put a local spin on this traditional Italian rigatoni and added some boerewors and South African flair.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 55 min
2 tbsp vegetable oil
500 g boerewors
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 roast red peppers, chopped
375 g Napoletana sauce
¼ cup parsley, chopped
500 g rigatoni
50 g Parmesan, grated
200 g mozzarella, grated
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a large oven dish generously with oil.
2. Heat the 2 tbsp oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook the boerewors until browned.
3. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add the red peppers, Napoletana sauce and parsley, and cook for 5 minutes.
4. In the meantime, bring a large pot of generously salted water to the boil. Cook the rigatoni for 5 minutes.
5. Drain the rigatoni and add to the pasta sauce. Mix well to combine.
6. Transfer the pasta to the prepared dish and top with Parmesan and mozzarella. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za