Don’t let your leftover sourdough go to waste. You can instantly transform this healthy bread into a brand new sausage-stuffed breakfast loaf.
MAKES 1 loaf // COOKING TIME 30 min
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
¼ cup chopped parsley
½ tsp paprika
1 loaf sourdough bread
1½ cups cheese, grated
250 g chicken sausage, cooked and sliced
1 spring onion, thinly sliced
Handful chives, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Heat oil over medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic until soft. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley and paprika.
3. Cut the top of the loaf into 3 cm-thick diagonals, making small diamonds. Only cut halfway into the bread and not the whole way through.
4. Separate the pieces of bread with a teaspoon. Fill the gaps with the onion mixture, grated cheese and slices of sausage.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and the top is golden brown.
6. Sprinkle with spring onion and chives before serving.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Sean Dollery // HMimages.co.za
Toasted sarmies are another great way to use up your stale bread. Try our gourmet chicken and mushroom toasties.