A feast is never complete without a side of piping hot potatoes. Make sure you include these Bombay-spiced smashed potatoes on the table!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 45 min
1 kg baby potatoes
¼ cup olive oil
1 tbsp peeled and grated ginger
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp black mustard seeds
¾ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp chilli powder
1 onion, peeled and sliced into wedges
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray.
2. Boil the potatoes until tender.
3. Mix oil and all ingredients except the onion. Toss with the potatoes to coat.
4. Arrange the potatoes on the baking tray (leave some space between them). Use the back of a spoon to smash the potatoes.
5. Drizzle oil and scatter onion wedges over potatoes. Roast for 30–35 minutes, until crispy.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Want more delicious potato recipes? Try these loaded Hasselback potatoes!