Not in the mood for a burger? These juicy homemade sloppy joes with chakalaka put a delicious spin on an American comfort food favourite.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
500 g leftover beef mince, cooked
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp paprika
1 tin chopped tomatoes
¼ cup beef stock
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp sugar
½ tin chakalaka
4 rolls, sliced and toasted
1 cup coleslaw
4 gherkins, sliced
¼ cup micro herbs
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the beef mince, grated ginger, curry powder, cumin and paprika and fry for another 1–2 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add the tomatoes, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and sugar. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25–30 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
4. Stir through the chakalaka and continue simmering until it is heated through.
5. Top each roll with coleslaw and gherkins. Then add a generous scoop of chakalaka mince. Finish off with the micro herbs and serve.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Sean Dollery // HMimages.co.za
Our chipotle chicken wings are another comfort food favourite from the US!