We were lucky enough to get on board one of Cape Town’s hottest food trucks, Scandalous Food, and they taught us how to make their perfect-for-summer seared-salmon and lime salad.
SERVES 8–10 // COOKING TIME 20 min, plus 8–10 hours, curing time
Onion and celery, peeled and chopped, to cover salmon
1 kg salmon
500g glass noodles
100 ml soy sauce
1 tbsp peeled, chopped garlic
1 tsp peeled, grated ginger
1 chilli, chopped
1 cucumber, julienned
3 carrots, julienned
Lime wedges, to serve
1. Mix the onion and celery with 400g sugar and the salt. Place salmon skin-side down on a tray, cover it with the mixture and leave for 8–10 hours.
2. Heat 3L water in a pan until just before boiling, remove from the heat and add the noodles. Leave until al dente, then drain and rinse in cold water. Place in the fridge in some water to prevent sticking.
3. Combine the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, chilli and the remaining sugar in a pot. Boil for 20 minutes. Leave to cool.
4. Slice the salmon into fingers and fry, skin-side down, in a very hot pan. Flip it over to one of the meaty sides and cook to medium-rare.
5. To serve, place noodles in a bowl, top with the cucumber, carrots and salmon. Drizzle with the sauce and lime juice.