The perfect combo of sweet and salty, these sea salt caramels are easy baking treats that the whole family can enjoy this weekend.
MAKES 20 // COOKING TIME 2 hours 25 min
2½ cups sugar
1 cup water
385 g tin condensed milk
115 g butter, cubed
1 tbsp sea salt flakes
1. Line and grease a loaf tin.
2. Heat the sugar and water in a pot over low heat. Once the sugar has dissolved, bring to the boil and cook, swirling the pot occasionally, until the mixture turns a deep amber.
3. Remove from the heat and add the condensed milk and butter. Allow to bubble for a few seconds, then whisk vigorously.
4. Return to medium heat. Use a sugar thermometer to monitor the caramel. Cook, whisking all the time, until it reaches 115°C. Remove from the heat and add 2 tsp sea salt flakes.
5. Pour into loaf tin and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tsp sea salt flakes. Leave to cool and set, at least 2 hours.
6. Use a hot knife to slice into bite-sized caramels. Wrap in waxed paper and store in a cool place.
Recipe & styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: Christoph Heierli