The cousin to the onion is the star of the show in this vegetarian masterpiece! This leek tart with Dijon mustard makes a deliciously creamy savoury tart.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 15 min
150 g baby leeks, halved lengthways
¼ cup olive oil
4 tbsp butter
Handful fresh thyme
Salt and black pepper
100 g medium leeks, finely chopped
¼ cup Dijon mustard
1 cup cream
1 tsp dried thyme
1 cup grated mozzarella
400 g shortcrust pastry
½ cup cubed feta
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Arrange the baby leeks on a baking tray. Drizzle with 2 tbsp oil, dot with 2 tbsp butter, and sprinkle with ½ fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, until golden on the edges.
3. Heat remaining oil, butter and thyme, and fry the chopped leeks until soft. Remove from the heat and add 2 tbsp mustard.
4. Whisk together eggs, cream, dried thyme, salt and pepper. Add mozzarella and fried leeks.
5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface, then press into a tart tin. Prick the base with a fork and spread with remaining mustard. Bake for 10 minutes, until golden.
6. Fill with cream mixture and feta. Arrange baby leeks on top.
7. Bake the leek tart for 25–35 minutes, until set and golden.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
For those who like a meat option, these chicken and leek puffs make tasty snacks!