Feeling a financial pinch? You can whip up this samp and bean stew with some favourite VAT-free ingredients.This stew tastes even better over time. Prepare it the day before you plan to serve it. This allows the flavours to perfectly develop.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 30 min
500 g boerewors, sliced
½ red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated
½ cup chopped mixed peppers
1 carrot, grated
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes
1 beef stock cube
2 cups samp & bean mix, cooked
1. Heat some vegetable oil in a non-stick pan and fry the boerewors until just cooked.
2. Transfer the cooking juices from the boerewors to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and the peppers and cook for 10 minutes, until soft.
4. Add the carrots, spices and tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes, beef stock and 1 cup water and allow to simmer.
6. Stir in the boerewors and samp and bean mix, then cook until heated through. Season to taste and serve with fresh chopped parsley.
Recipe & styling: Leila-Ann Mokotedi
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
On the lookout for more budget-friendly hits like our samp and bean stew? Bangers and mash with buttery peas is always a hit!