Fruit tarts always make for a tasty delight, and this rustic fig and caramel tart is no exception. Enjoy a bite with a hot cup of tea or coffee for the perfect pairing.
MAKES 1 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 5 min
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp flour
8 ripe figs, torn in half
1 roll shortcrust pastry
¼ cup tinned caramel
¼ cup flaked almonds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Mix the sugar and flour in a bowl. Add figs and toss to coat.
3. Roll out the pastry to 3 mm thick. Form a rough circle, about 30 cm in diameter.
4. Mark another circle in the middle of the pastry, about 18 cm in diameter, where the tart will fold up. Spread the caramel here and place the figs on top.
5. Fold up the pastry, pinching together if necessary.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden and figs tender. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and serve.