A muffuletta is a round Italian bread filled to bursting with delicious ingredients. Make our roast vegetable muffuletta more authentically Italian by adding a layer of pastrami or salami.
SERVES 8 // COOKING TIME 30 min
2 red peppers
Salt and pepper
6–8 baby marrows, thinly sliced lengthways
1 large brinjal, sliced
1 loaf sourdough
30 g rocket
800 g mozzarella, sliced
60 ml pesto
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Rub red peppers with oil, salt and pepper. Roast until the skins are charred, about 20 minutes.
3. Place the red peppers in a ziplock bag and leave to steam for 20 minutes (to make skins easy to peel off). Remove skins and seeds. Slice the peppers.
4. Heat a little oil in a pan on high and fry baby marrows and brinjal until charred. Season.
5. Slice off the top ⅓ of the loaf and set it aside. Hollow out the bread, being careful not to make a hole in the bottom or sides.
6. Fill with layers of the rocket, peppers, cheese, baby marrows and brinjal. Drizzle with oil.
7. Spread pesto on the cut-off top of the bread, then place it back on top of the filled bread.
8. Cover the bread with a clean tea towel and tie with string to keep it together. Leave it for a few hours, preferably overnight, before slicing and serving.
Serve fresh on a breadboard to your guests.