Is there anything more exciting than leftovers the next day? How about a big roast chicken with pea and mint roast potatoes for dinner and lunch!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 2 hours 45 min
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups plain yoghurt
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chilli flakes
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 kg potatoes, peeled, quartered and parboiled
2 cups frozen peas, cooked
4 tbsp chopped mint
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Combine oil, yoghurt, garlic, cayenne pepper, chilli flakes and lemon zest and juice. Massage into the chicken. Marinate in the fridge for 1–4 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 200ºC.
4. Heat 5 tbsp oil in a roasting tray in the oven. Arrange the potatoes in the tray, season and roast for 1 hour, tossing halfway, until golden.
5. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on a lined roasting tray. Roast (at the same time as the potatoes) for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Turn on the grill for the last 10 minutes.
6. Toss the peas and mint with the potatoes and serve alongside the roast chicken.
Recipe & styling: Elizabeth Mackenzie
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
Do you know what else works as delicious leftovers? Paneer pockets!