Not only a filling side, but rice is an extremely nutritious grain and can bring so much flavour to a dish! These rice stuffed baby marrow boats make for delicious vegetarian sides that the kids will love too.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 45 min
Olive oil, to fry
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 cup brown and wild rice mix, cooked
1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
Salt and pepper
6 baby marrows
1 cup grated Cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 160°C and grease a baking tray.
2. Heat a little oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic until soft.
3. Add the rice and herbs, season with salt and pepper, and mix.
4. Cut the baby marrows in ½ lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Fill each baby marrow boat with the rice mixture, then place on the baking tray.
5. Sprinkle the boats with the grated cheese.
6. Bake for 15–20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and baby marrows are tender.
7. Switch on the oven grill and cook baby marrow boats for a further 5 minutes, until cheese is slightly browned.
Recipe: Amerae Vercueil
Styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za