Now here’s a bowl of soup that can get you through the day. Our red lentil soup with buttered carrots contains all of your food groups, and loads of vitamins and minerals.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 5 min
½ garlic bulb, skin on
2 tbsp olive oil
8 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp butter, softened
30 g thyme
Salt and black pepper
2 shallots, peeled and chopped
1 lemon, zest and juice
2 tbsp peeled and grated ginger
2 tbsp peeled and grated turmeric
½ tsp smoked chilli flakes
1 L vegetable stock
2 cups red lentils, rinsed
2 cups coconut cream
Toasted sunflower seeds, to garnish
Micro-rocket, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Drizzle the garlic with 1 tbsp oil and wrap in foil. Toss carrots with 1 tbsp butter, thyme, salt and pepper. Place the garlic and carrots in a roasting tin and roast for 30 minutes.
3. Heat remaining oil and butter in a large pot. Fry the shallots for 5 minutes.
4. Add the lemon zest, ginger, turmeric and chilli. Cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add the stock and lentils, and stir well.
5. Unwrap the roast garlic and squeeze it out of its skin. Add it to the pot, along with half the carrots. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add lemon juice and coconut cream. Blend soup until smooth.
7. Serve your red lentil soup topped with remaining roast carrots, sunflower seeds and micro-rocket.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Make carrots the star of the show with our roast carrot, ginger and lemongrass soup.