Rich and creamy curries are the highlight of this winter season! Make this red lentil curry with coconut for a weeknight warmer!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 20 min
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp red curry paste
1 tsp grated turmeric
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 cups red lentils
400 g tin diced tomatoes
300 ml coconut milk
Salt and pepper
1 tsp honey or sugar
Coriander, to garnish
1. Fry the onion in a little oil until tender. Add curry paste, turmeric, ginger, cumin and garlic.
2. Rinse the lentils and add them to the pot with 2 cups water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until lentils are tender, 30–45 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and coconut milk, then reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are fully cooked, about 10 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper. If needed, add honey or sugar in order to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
5. Garnish the curry with fresh coriander. Serve with steamed vegetables, rice or naan.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil & Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za