Want a delicious easy vegetarian dinner to keep you cosy and warm? Then try our deliciously quick brinjal curry with peanuts recipe!
SERVES 4 // COOK TIME 20 min
1 cup rice
⅓ cup vegetable oil
4 brinjals cut into cubes
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp chili powder
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp garlic and ginger paste
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 x 400 ml tin coconut milk
⅓ cup roasted peanuts
Handful of coriander, chopped
1. Cook the ride according to package instructions and drain.
2. While the rice is cooking, heat 1/4 cup oil in a pan over medium heat. Season brinjals with salt and pepper and fry for 3 minutes, until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add cumin, garam masala, paprika, tumeric, and mustard seeds to a pan and fry for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Mix in the garlic and ginger paste and tomato paste, then season.
4. Add the remaining oil, stirring to release the flavours, then return the brinjal to the pan.
5. Add the tinned tomatoes and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Cool for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until think and deep in colour.
6. Top curry with roasted peanuts and chopped coriander, then serve with rice.
Recipe & styling: Jezza-Rae Larsen
Photography: K-Leigh Siebritz
Care for another delicious vegetarian curry? Then try our Thai vegetable green curry recipe!