We know Christmas falls during summer here in South Africa, but that doesn’t mean you can’t whip up a warm treat for Christmas Eve. We would definitely recommend our pumpkin meringue pie for this year.
MAKES 1 // COOKING TIMe 100 min, plus chilling time
400 g shortcrust pastry
1 cup cooked, mashed pumpkin
1 cup cream
½ cup sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 eggs, separated
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp cinnamon
⅔ cup caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Roll out the pastry and line a 25 cm pie dish. Blind-bake (with dry rice or beans weighing down baking paper) for 20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside.
3. Reduce the temperature to 170°C.
4. Mix together the pumpkin, cream, sugar, lemon zest and juice, egg yolks, cornflour and cinnamon.
5. Pour the mixture into the pastry case. Bake for 45–50 minutes, until just set.
6. Remove pie from the oven and leave to cool completely, ideally overnight.
7. Preheat the oven grill.
8. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Then gradually add the caster sugar. Continue whisking until the mixture is thick and glossy.
9. Pipe or spoon the meringue on to the pumpkin base. Place under the grill for a couple of minutes to toast the edges. Remove, cool and serve.