Pastry tarts make super versatile dishes, for sweet and savoury. But this potato and leek open tart is sure to be a hit at home!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
½ cup vegetable oil
3 potatoes, thinly sliced
3 tbsp butter
5 leeks, sliced lengthwise
Salt and pepper
100 g feta, crumbled
½ cup cream
½ sprig rosemary, chopped
250 g shortcrust pastry
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1. Heat the oil and shallow-fry the potatoes until golden, then set aside to cool.
2. Melt the butter and fry the leeks until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Use a fork to whip together the feta, cream and rosemary.
4. Lay out the pastry on a lined baking tray and cut into a rough circle. Spread with the feta filling and arrange cooked potatoes and leeks on top.
5. Fold in the edges of the pastry, tucking and overlapping them.
6. Brush the pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Store in the fridge until ready to eat.
7. Bake at 180°C for 25 minutes, until pastry is golden.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za