Need to put together a quick meal for the family? Then try your hand at our budget-friendly Potato crust quiche. All it takes is a quick dive through the pantry to find the ingredients needed to make this scrumptious meal.
5 potatoes, sliced
Vegetable oil, to toss
Salt and pepper
1 cup milk
½ tin sweetcorn
2 tbsp flour
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC. Prepare a 20 cm casserole dish.
2. Toss the potatoes with the oil, salt and pepper. Arrange in a circular pattern covering the bottom and sides of the tin. The slices should extend over the rim by about 3 cm as they will shrink in the oven.
3. Place the dish on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender when pricked with a fork. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 160ºC.
4. Whisk the eggs until smooth. Whisk in milk, sweetcorn, flour and ¾ tsp salt, ensuring it is all well combined.
5. Pour egg mixture into the crust, filling to just below the top.
6. Bake for 40 minutes, until the centre is just set. If the edges of the crust get too dark, cover with foil and continue baking.
7. Cool for 1 hour, then serve at room temperature or chilled.
Budget tip: Swap out the milk for amasi, if that’s what you have in the fridge.
Recipes & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen
Loving our potato crust quiche recipe? Then dig into our indulgent stuffed mushrooms with tomato and mozzarella.