What could be better than an old-fashioned burger and shake combo? We put a delicious spin on these phyllo cheeseburgers and spiked shakes, one we know you’ll love!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
For the phyllo cheeseburgers
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
Salt and black pepper
4 beef burger patties
500 g phyllo pastry
¼ cup melted butter
125 g mozzarella, sliced
1 egg, whisked
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry the onion until soft. Add vinegar, sugar and seasoning. Fry until onion is golden and caramelised.
3. Cook the burger patties until done to your liking.
4. Layer 2 sheets of phyllo pastry, brushing butter in between. Fold in half. Place a slice of cheese, a burger patty and some onions on top.
5. Fold short sides of the pastry up along the sides of the patty. Fold in one of the long sides. Continue folding the long sides in the same direction until the burger is neatly wrapped up.
6. Brush the burgers with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
7. Arrange on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, until the pastry is golden and crispy.
For the spiked shakes
2 cups vanilla ice cream
2 cups ice
1 cup milk
¼ cup whisky
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
1. Blitz together all ingredients, except the peanut butter, until mixture is smooth.
2. Add peanut butter and pulse until just combined. Pour into glasses and serve.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za