These potato pancakes, or latkes, are traditional Jewish treats that make the ultimate savoury snacks for a fun get-together!
MAKES 12 // COOKING TIME 30 min
1 kg potatoes, peeled and grated
2 onions, peeled and grated
¼ cup flour
2 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
1. Press out any excess liquid by placing the grated potatoes and onions between two clean dish towels with a heavy pot on top.
2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt and pepper. Whisk in the eggs. Add the potatoes and onions and mix well.
3. Heat 1 cm oil in a pan until medium hot. Carefully drop in 2 tbsp latke mixture at a time, leaving some space in between. Flatten slightly with a spatula or fork. Cook 3–4 minutes per side, flipping over, until crispy and golden brown.
4. Transfer the latkes to a wire rack and season with salt. Place in the oven to keep warm while you fry the rest.
5. Serve with sour cream or apple sauce.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Kendall-Leigh Nash//HMimages.co.za