It’s an Italian fiesta! Chickpea fritters, or panelle, are a popular Sicilian street dish that are often eaten sandwiched between slices of bread, or on their own with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
SERVES 8 // COOKING TIME 20 min, plus cooling time
Salt and black pepper
1¼ L water
4 cups chickpea flour
Handful parsley, chopped
2 tbsp coarse salt
Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
1. Line a deep baking tray.
2. Add a pinch of salt to the water and heat until boiling. Remove from the stove and gradually stir in the chickpea flour. Return to the stove and cook for 15 minutes, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. The batter will give off a nutty aroma and come away from the sides of the pot when it is done. Season.
3. Pour batter into the baking tray, smooth the top and cover with cling film. Allow to cool completely before cutting it into squares.
4. Mix parsley and salt, until the salt is evenly flecked with green.
5. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the panelle until crisp, about 5 minutes.
6. Serve hot with parsley salt, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za