High in taste and low in carbs, these paleo beetroot brownies still have a deliciously sweet taste and are great treats if you’re watching your weight.
MAKES 16 small // COOKING TIME 1 hour
90 ml water
2 tbsp flaxseed powder
90 g cocoa, plus extra to dust
30 g tapioca flour
1¼ cups almond flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp fine sea salt
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
4 beetroot cooked and puréed
45 ml coconut oil
1¼ cups coconut cream
180 ml coconut sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
100 g roasted pecans, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 20 cm square tin.
2. Stir together the water and flaxseed and set aside to thicken for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Sift the cocoa, tapioca and almond flour together, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon together. Pour these, along with the cooked beetroot, coconut oil, cream and sugar, and vanilla extract into a blender and blend until well combined and smooth. Mix in the pecans by hand.
4. Pour the batter into the greased baking tin and bake for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes. Leave to cool for about 30 minutes before slicing into squares.
5. Serve with a dusting of cocoa.
Recipes & styling: Lisa Clark
Photography: Kendall-Leigh Nash