Lemon meringue pie might be a classic. But there’s surely no way it competes with our delicious orange meringue pie. Don’t believe us? Try it for yourself.
SERVES 6 // COOK TIME 50 min
1 roll shortcrust pastry
1 tin condensed milk
3 ½ oranges
4 eggs, separated
¾ cup caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 200º C. Grease and line a tart tin. Press the pastry into the tin.
2. Bake blind for 10 mins, and then set aside.
3. Lower oven to 180º C.
4. Mix together the condensed milk, the zest and juice of 2 oranges and 4 egg yolks.
5. Pour into the crust and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Bring ½ cup caster sugar and ¼ cup water to the boil. Cook until the syrup is a rich amber colour.
7. Whip 3 egg whites until foamy. Beating continuously, drizzle in the syrup until stiff and glossy.
8. Spread the meringue over the top of the pie and pop under the grill until browned. Refrigerate.
9. In a pot, bring the juice of 1 orange and ¼ cup caster sugar to a simmer. Cook until the sugar is dissolved.
10. Thinly slice ½ an orange and add to the mixture in the pot. Simmer for 20 mins. Use the orange slices to decorate your pie.
Recipes & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Samantha Pinto
Dreaming of a creamy, ultra-smooth classic cheesecake recipe, paired with a red-velvet crust? Then look no further than this simply decadent red-velvet cheesecake recipe.