If you need a lovely starter or snack plate for your next get-together, this caramelised onion and feta spread with Melba toast is a tasty and light option.
SERVES 8 // COOKING TIME 45 min
1 loaf ciabatta, very thinly sliced
60 ml olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
2 tbsp sugar
300 g feta
2–3 tbsp double-cream yoghurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray.
2. Brush the ciabatta with oil and place on the baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes, until it is brown and crispy.
3. Melt butter in a pan and fry onion and rosemary for 5 minutes, until onion is soft. Add the sugar and cook for 15 minutes, until onion is caramelised.
4. Blend feta and caramelised onion in a food processor. Add 2 tbsp yoghurt and the lemon juice, and blend until smooth. Add a little more yoghurt if you want a smoother consistency. Season.
5. Serve the spread with the ciabatta Melba toast.