South African citrus fruits give you plenty of freshness to cook with this season, including these juicy naartjie and ginger glazed ribs!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 3 hours 15 min
2 × 1 kg rib racks
2 garlic cloves, grated
¼ cup oyster sauce
6 tbsp honey
4 seedless naartjies, peeled and chopped
1 chilli, chopped
½ cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 150ºC.
2. Season the ribs on both sides and lay them down in a roasting tray.
3. Combine all the remaining ingredients in a food processor. Blend.
4. Pour the glaze over the ribs, coating evenly.
5. Cover lightly with foil and roast for 2½ hours.
6. Remove the foil, baste the ribs and increase the oven temperature to 200ºC. Return to the oven for another 30 minutes, checking regularly, until nicely coloured.
7. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving with the remaining glaze from the pan.
Recipe & styling: Elizabeth Mackenzie
Photography: Sean Dollery // HMimages.co.za
Complete this dish with a delicious Cape citrus G&T (made with naartjie gin)!