We took two foodie favourites and created this mustardy roast chicken and potato bake for a meal you’ll never forget! Serve it for your next family lunch.
SERVES 8 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 30 min
2 whole chickens
¼ cup Dijon mustard
¼ cup olive oil
Juice of 2 naartjies or oranges
1 tbsp salt
10 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup cream
150 g butter
Handful sage, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Rub the chickens with the mustard, olive oil, citrus juice and salt. Truss them (tie string around the legs to keep them together).
3. Arrange the potato slices, overlapping, in an ovenproof dish.
4. Heat the cream, butter and sage. Cook over low heat until the butter melts and the mixture is infused with sage.
5. Pour the butter mixture over the potatoes, sprinkle with sage leaves and season.
6. Place the chickens on a wire rack. Position it over the dish with the potatoes, to catch the cooking juices.
7. Bake the chickens and potatoes for 1 hour.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Sean Dollery