Are you ready to try the ultimate vegetarian potjie? Don’t skimp on the ‘shrooms with this creamy mushroom and butter bean potjie.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp thyme leaves, crushed
2 tbsp white wine
1½ cups vegetable stock
1 cup cream
400 g tin butter beans
500 g mixed mushrooms, sliced
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a potjie and fry the onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and fry for another 2 minutes.
2. Add the wine and stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add the cream and simmer for 15–20 minutes, until reduced. Then add the beans.
4. Brush the mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Braai until charred.
5. Serve the potjie topped with the braaied mushrooms.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Still getting the hang of the potjie? Learn the basics with our South African potjie guide.