Use up any stale bread for this dish! Mozzarella en carrozza is a Neapolitan antipasto dish that translates to ‘mozzarella in a carriage’.
MAKES 4 // COOKING TIME 30 min
Ciabatta, cut into 4 cm thick slices with crusts removed
4 thick slices mozzarella
8 basil leaves
½ cup flour
3 eggs, whisked
2 cups breadcrumbs
½ lemon, wedges
1. Cut a hole in the top of each slice of ciabatta, making sure not to slice all the way through, creating a pocket.
2. Add a slice of mozzarella, 2 basil leaves and an anchovy into each pocket.
3. Roll each parcel first in the flour, then the egg, and lastly in the breadcrumbs.
4. Heat enough oil to deep-fry over medium heat. Drop a small piece of bread in the oil – if it sizzles, the oil is ready.
5. Deep-fry the parcels, flipping, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
6. Slice and serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
Italy has many more delicious bread recipes! Try our take on the roast vegetable muffuletta.