For the ultimate dinnertime indulgence, a hearty cheesy dish is in order! This traditional moussaka is a fitting feast for your table.
SERVES 8 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 15 min
175 ml plain yoghurt
1 tsp flour
Vegetable oil, to fry
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
500 g beef or pork mince
1 cup white wine
1 beef stock cube
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp tomato paste
1 cup grated Cheddar
½ cup grated Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Whisk together yoghurt, flour and egg.
3. Cut the brinjals into ½ cm slices and fry in hot oil until browned, about 2 minutes a side. Drain on paper towel.
4. In the same pan, brown onion and garlic in a bit more oil. Add the mince, wine, stock cube, mixed herbs and tomato paste. Simmer for 10 minutes. Season with pepper only.
5. Line an ovenproof dish with brinjals. Cover with ½ mince and sprinkle with ½ Cheddar. Repeat.
6. Pour the yoghurt mixture over the top. Finish off with the Parmesan and a sprinkle of paprika.
7. Cover the moussaka with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 5–10 minutes more, until the cheese is golden. Serve with a Greek salad.
Recipes & styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: Christoph Heierli