Get pastry-wrapped goodness and all the comforts of home with this meat-free morogo, butternut and samp pie, right this way!
SERVES 4–6 // COOKING TIME 55 min
½ onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
½ tsp paprika
Pinch cayenne pepper
¾ cup boiling water
1 tsp vegetable stock powder
½ butternut, chopped
⅔ cup cooked samp
1 bunch morogo, blanched
½ cup grated Cheddar
2 rolls puff pastry, halved and rolled into 20 cm circles
1½ wheels feta, crumbled
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray.
2. Heat some oil in a pot over medium heat. Fry the onion for 5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the garlic, paprika, cayenne and cinnamon. Then fry for 1 minute, until fragrant.
3. Add the water, vegetable stock and butternut. Cook for 15–20 minutes, until the butternut is just tender.
4. Stir in the samp and cook for another 5 minutes. The filling should be thick. If not, remove some liquid.
5. Stir in the morogo and Cheddar, and season to taste. Allow to cool slightly.
6. Place one piece of pastry in the prepared tin. Spoon the filling on to the centre, leaving a 5 cm border around it. Sprinkle over the feta.
7. Cover with the second piece of pastry and roll in the edges to seal all round. Brush the samp pie with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes, until puffed up and golden.
You can usually find morogo at your local street vendor and in many supermarkets. If you’re unable to get your hands on it, spinach also works perfectly in this recipe.
Recipe: Dylan Norton
Styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
Our mushroom pie with sesame pastry is another meat-free favourite!