This dessert is a mini fiesta in its own right and everyone is invited! Our mojito cheesecake is ridiculously easy to make, and just like the lovely mojito itself, it boasts the fresh flavours of lime, mint, sugar and, of course, some good-quality white rum. If this doesn’t get you over hump day, we don’t know what will.
MAKES 1 // COOKING TIME 60 mins
200g digestive biscuits
150g butter, melted
250g cream cheese, at room temperature
385g tin condensed milk
1 tbsp white rum
⅓ cup lime juice plus 1 lime, sliced
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup sugar
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp roughly chopped mint, plus leaves to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. In a food processor, crush the digestive biscuits to a fine crumb. Add the melted butter and pulse to combine. Press the mixture into a tart tin and place in the fridge until firm.
3. Beat the cream cheese until soft, add the condensed milk and continue mixing until smooth. Add the rum, lime juice and vanilla essence and mix until smooth.
4. Pour the cream cheese mixture into the biscuit base and bake for 15 minutes. Leave to cool before returning to the fridge.
5. Place the sugar and ½ cup water in a pot and heat slowly until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a simmer and add the lime slices. Simmer for 15 minutes, then remove the limes from the sugar syrup and lay on a cooling rack. Leave to cool.
6. Place the caster sugar and chopped mint in a pestle and mortar and grind until combined.
7. Remove the cheesecake from the fridge and top with candied limes and mint leaves. Sprinkle with mint sugar to serve.