Sharing is caring! So the next time you’re asked to bring a dish, we highly recommend these mini salted caramel and apple tarte Tatins for the perfect summer treat.
MAKES 12 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
1 cup sugar
90 g butter, cubed
½ cup cream
1 tsp sea salt
6 apples, thinly sliced
4 sprigs thyme, chopped
500 g puff pastry
Icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC and grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
2. Place sugar in a pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring gently with a spatula, for 3–4 minutes, until it has melted and turned an amber colour.
3. Whisk in the butter. Once it is completely melted, slowly pour in the cream, whisking to combine. Add the salt and set aside to cool.
4. Evenly distribute apple slices and thyme between each muffin hole. Bake for 10 minutes, until the apples just begin to soften.
5. Roll out the pastry. Cut out 12 circles to fit the holes of the muffin tin.
6. Remove muffin tin from oven and drizzle 2 tsp salted caramel over each apple portion. Cover each one with a circle of pastry. Using a sharp knife, poke a hole in the pastry, to allow steam to be released during baking.
7. Bake the tarte Tatins for a further 15–20 minutes, until pastry is golden brown and completely cooked through.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely, before carefully inverting to remove from the tin. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Recipe & styling: Luisa Hayes
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Heading to brunch? These miniature fruit phyllo pastries with guava and blueberries will be a hit!