Small Greek chicken phyllo pies, or mini kotopitas, make lovely snacks to add to the summer lunch table! These may soon become your next family favourite.
MAKES 8 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 5 min
1 whole chicken
100 g butter
3 onions, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp olive oil, plus to brush
4–6 sprigs thyme
Zest of 1 lemon
3 eggs, beaten
6 sheets phyllo pastry
1. Place chicken, butter, onions, oil, thyme and lemon zest in a pot. Add water (submerge the chicken), cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and poach for 1½ hours, until cooked through.
2. Remove chicken and strain stock into a pot, reserving onions. Boil stock until reduced by ½.
3. Strip meat from the carcass, discarding the skin and bones. Mix chicken and reserved onions in a bowl. Add eggs and reduced chicken stock. Season with 1 tsp salt and a little pepper.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a muffin tray.
5. Layer 3 phyllo sheets, brushing each one with oil. Cut the stack into 4 squares of about 15 cm. Repeat with the other 3 sheets to make a total of 8 squares.
6. Place a square in each hole of the tray and press into shape. Place 3 tbsp chicken mixture in each pastry case, then fold in the edges, pinch together and twist.
7. Bake for 30–45 minutes.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za