If it’s possible to make a mini version, we’ll make it. Whip up these little teatime delights for the whole family this weekend. Our mini drop scones are scrumptious with jam and whipped cream, but they will be just as great with easy savoury fillings like cheese and ham.
MAKES 24 // COOKING TIME 20 mins
1 cup cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
60g cold butter, cut into cubes
⅓ cup milk
1 tbsp cream
Whipped cream, to serve
Strawberry jam, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl, then add the caster sugar and butter.
3. Use your fingertips to mix the cold butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. In a separate, small bowl combine the egg, milk and cream. Add this to the dry mixture.
5. Mix using a butter knife in a cutting motion. Then give a light stir with a spoon. Be careful not to overmix.
6. Grease a mini-muffin tray and drop a heaped teaspoon of mixture in each hole. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden on top.
7. Cool on a rack. Serve with whipped cream and strawberry jam.