Low-carb but still packing all the flavour, this Mexican pulled chicken on brinjal steaks recipe is one for the healthy books!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 2 hours
1 red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tins tomato relish
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tsp dried origanum
1 tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
8 skinless chicken thighs, with bones
3 brinjals, thickly sliced
1 tsp cumin
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion, red pepper and garlic, and fry until soft and translucent.
3. Add the relish, lemon juice and spices, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Spread the chicken out in a casserole dish and pour over the sauce. Bake uncovered for 1½ hours.
5. Shred the chicken with a fork and discard the bones. Season to taste.
6. Sprinkle the brinjal slices with cumin and steam for 12−15 minutes, until just tender.
7. Spoon the chicken over the brinjal steaks and serve immediately.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Sean Dollery // HMimages.co.za
Keen to go meat-free with this dish? Try our pan-fried brinjal slices with tomato sauce.