In need of some home-made gifts or decorations? Keep the kids busy with these cute ready-to-eat decorative meringue wreathes!
MAKES 8 // COOKING TIME 50 min
6 egg whites
2 cups white sugar
Pinch cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 drop green food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Draw eight 5 cm circles on baking paper. Place it on a baking tray.
2. Beat together the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar until mixture is thick and glossy. Fold in the vanilla and green food colouring.
3. Spoon into a piping bag with a smooth nozzle.
4. Using the circles on the paper as guides, pipe dollops of meringue on to the baking paper. E sure they touch.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave the meringues in for another 20 minutes to crisp up.
6. Once cooled, tie a piece of ribbon through each wreath. Give them as presents or use to decorate your tree.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
Want to add some colour? Try these pink peppercorn meringues!