Snacks for the little ones, dinner party appetisers, padkos for the road… The options are endless for these yummy meatball sliders!
MAKES 12 // COOKING TIME 40 min
1 kg ready-made bread dough
2 eggs, 1 whisked
Olive oil, to fry
1 onion, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves , peeled and crushed
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp dried origanum
1 tsp brown sugar
Salt and black pepper
500 g mince
⅓ cup flour
2 tbsp flaxseed
4 Peppadews + to garnish
¼ cup mayonnaise
Salad greens, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Roll the dough into 12 balls. Arrange on the baking tray and leave to proof for 20 minutes.
3. Brush each bun with whisked egg. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Cool completely.
4. Heat a little oil and fry the onion until soft. Add the garlic, herbs and sugar. Season. Gently heat the mixture through.
5. In a bowl, combine the onion mixture with the mince, flour flaxseed and remaining egg. Chill in the fridge for 5 minutes.
6. Roll the mixture into 12 balls. Heat some oil and fry meatballs for about 3 minutes a side, until golden brown.
7. Mix the chopped Peppadews with the mayonnaise.
8. To assemble the meatball sliders, place a meatball in each bun. Add Peppadew mayo and salad greens. Use a skewer to hold it together. Garnish with extra Peppadews.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Have some leftover meatballs? Enjoy them with pitas and salted yoghurt in this great lunch recipe.