Crack open a bottle of wine, slap on the sunscreen and dive into this meat lover’s cheese board for the perfect summer picnic!
SERVES 4-6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
For the chicken crackling
Skin of 2 chickens
1 tbsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Arrange chicken skins in a single layer on the tray. Sprinkle with salt, then cover with another piece of baking paper and second baking tray to keep them flat.
3. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn over the skins, cover again and bake for another 10 minutes.
4. Cool on a wire rack to crisp up.
For the chicken-liver pâté
300 g butter
1 tbsp vegetable oil
4 onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 kg chicken livers
75 ml sherry
1. Heat half the butter and all the oil in a pan. Fry the sage until crispy. Set aside a few fried leaves to garnish.
2. Fry the onions and garlic in the sage butter until golden.
3. Add the chicken livers and fry for 5 minutes.
4. Add the sherry and cook for 5 minutes. Season generously.
5. Place in a blender, add the remaining butter, and blitz until smooth.
6. Spoon into a serving dish and smooth the top. Garnish with sage leaves and black pepper.
For the meat and cheese board
1. Space out all the ingredients on to a wooden board and serve fresh.
Recipes & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Pair this delicious board with a summery peach and honey rosé sangria!