Get a little creative with your favourite breakfast treat and try these naturally dyed scones for extra colour and flavour! Spinach, beetroot and pumpkin make these treats a savoury delight in the morning.
Makes 15 // COOKING TIME 28 min
For the scones
1¾ cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp butter
½ cup vegetable purée
¼ cup milk
For the vegetable colouring
One of the following:
100 g spinach, blanched and puréed with 1 tsp lemon juice
2 beetroots, steamed and puréed
125 g pumpkin, steamed and puréed
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Mix.
3. Rub in the butter until the mixture forms crumbs.
4. Make a well in the centre and add the vegetable purée of your choice, milk and egg. Fold in until well combined.
5. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface. Roll out to 2 cm thick and cut out rounds.
6. Place the rounds on the baking tray and brush with milk.
7. Bake for 10–12 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za