A healthy breakfast treat that keeps you feeling full and energised throughout the day? Yes, please! These pear and pumpkin breakfast muffins are low GI and quick to bake, making them ideal for a morning snack or an afternoon pick-me-up.
MAKES 12 // COOKING TIME 35 min
2 cups wholewheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 bananas, mashed
1 cup pumpkin purée (±250 g raw pumpkin)
1 cup plain yoghurt
2 pears, peeled and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a muffin tin with muffin cups or grease generously with butter.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb, cinnamon and salt.
3. Add the bananas, pumpkin, yoghurt and eggs. Mix well to incorporate, then fold in the pears.
4. Fill each muffin hole ¾ of the way. Bake for 15 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
5. Serve warm, topped with honey and butter.
Recipe & styling: Jana du Plessis
Photography: Samantha Pinto//HMimages.co.za