Who ever said vegan can’t be delicious? Try this healthy take on loaded Mediterranean baked chips for a sustainable and guilt-free treat.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
4 large sweet potatoes, cut into thick chips
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper, to season
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 brinjal, cut into rounds
2 cups Rosa tomatoes
¼ cup salt
1 cup hummus
10 g parsley, chopped
10 g coriander, chopped
1 tin chickpeas, drained
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the chips on a baking tray and drizzle generously with olive oil before seasoning with the salt and pepper and cumin. Bake for 25 minutes, until crisp. Halfway through baking, flip the chips to achieve even browning.
2. Salt the brinjal rounds and allow the moisture to draw out for 20 minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel, transfer to a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil.
3. In the same baking tray, season the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Add a drizzle of olive oil and roast with the eggplant for 15 minutes until the veggies have browned.
4. Mix the hummus, parsley and coriander together. Reserve some of the herbs for garnishing.
5. To assemble, place the baked chips on to a serving plate. Top with hummus, followed by the chickpeas, tomatoes, brinjal and extra herbs.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
These Mediterranean stuffed mushrooms are another meat-free favourite!