This delectable lemon meringue flan is an ode to one of your favorite local desserts! But this one’s probably a bit fancier!
SERVES 8 // COOK TIME 40 min + cooling time
2 cups sugar
1 cup cornflakes
2 × 385g tin condensed milk
½ cup lemon juice
4 eggs, separated
Dried lemon slices, to decorate
For the cornflake-brittle base
1. Grease a baking tray.
2. Cook 1 cup sugar in a pot over low heat until melted. Stir in the cornflakes.
3. Pour the mixture on to the baking tray. Leave to cool.
For the flan
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C and grease a flan mould or cake tin.
2. Whisk together the condensed milk, lemon juice and egg yolks to make lemon curd.
3. Pour the lemon curd over the cornflake-brittle base and cover with foil.
4. Bake for 40 minutes, until almost set. Let cool completely, then refrigerate for 1 hour.
For the meringue
1. Place remaining 1 cup sugar in a pot over medium heat. Cook, swirling, until it is completely melted and boiling.
2. Whip the egg whites until they reach ribbon stage ( just before stiff-peak stage).
3. While beating the egg whites, slowly drizzle in the still-boiling sugar. The heat will cook the eggs and turn the meringue mixture glossy.
4. Spread the meringue over the cooled lemon curd. Brown with a blowtorch or pop under the grill for a few minutes. Decorate with dried lemon slices.
Recipes & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen
Try our twist on the classic South African dessert, malva pudding with this chocolate malva pudding with apricot ganache. It’s so good!